My ticker...

Sunday, November 14, 2010

How I decided to go fructose-free

I consider myself a pretty busy person. I have a wonderful husband and two children (2 and 6), I work full-time (engineer) and to top if off, I've decided to do an MBA by correspondence. I have a great deal of stress in my life and little time to contemplate what I eat. So I eat what is easy - sweets. I put on about 10 kg in one year doing this. My husband travels a lot for work (lately, 50% of the time) and my home time does not include 'taking it easy time'.

I found by hazard one of those "three-foods-you-should-never-eat" links on Facebook. I checked it out. Found out from there that my number one enemy was sugar, explaining the whole sugar high-insulin-sugar low-binge cycle. Made sense to me. The second recommendation was to cut out wheat. Apparently, that also turns into sugar while you digest it. So for about two weeks, I stopped eating sweets, putting sugar in my coffee and pretty much went gluten free to avoid wheat. I started eating sprouted whole grain bread. So... kind of on the right track, right? Lost about 2 kg... then lost focus as I approached an exam and started eating sweets again. 2 weeks later and I've put on 3 kg.

I fell upon an article in a magazine while I was at the hair salon during the first two weeks where I was loosing weight... I cannot remember which magazine and I only got to read a few paragraph, but it made mention of David Gillespie's book "Sweet Poison". I thought "Well, that's interesting, but I'm already trying to cut sugar, so I don't really need this." Two days ago, however, I happened by chance upon his second book "The Sweet Poison Quit Plan". Bought it. Reading it now. I don't even need to read his first book to be convinced now that I need to remove fructose, and why. It is not even a weight loss issue anymore, it is an addiction issue.

I read little bits to my husband, he says he'd like to try it out. My daughter sees the cover of the book and asks "Is this about cakes?" I tell her "No, it is about not eating sugar." She looks at me and says "I don't want to eat sugar anymore. I'll throw away all my Halloween lollies." I was so proud. My 6-year old!

So.. day 1.

For me, it isn't too bad. I am already halfway there, really. I've kicked all my old bad habits the first time I was trying to get rid of the sugar. The only one left was the binge eating when I get stressed. Sweets are my comfort food. And I cannot stop at just a little. No. I gorge on it. So from this part of my fructose addiction, I am going cold turkey. Today, I ate a lot to compensate. Potato chips, rice crackers and nuts mostly. I don't feel bad otherwise other than having interesting visits to the toilet.

For my 6-year old, she doesn't know why she is feeling this way, and I won't tell her because she might decide that sugar is good after all. She has had serious mood swings today and she has complained of sweating for no good reason. It made me wonder whether I was giving her that much sugar before? I thought I was monitoring that pretty well. But thinking about it, she would have at least 2 glasses of juice  per day, some kind of sweet desert after dinner, a cookie after lunch, a muesli bar for afternoon tea... wow. So I think her withdrawal might be worst than mine.

I've made her some fructose-free cookies from Gillespie's book, contrary to his recommending not eating dextrose food until the withdrawal period is over. She is still young and I think her appetite control is completely broken yet.

So.. starting weight. I might even throw-in a photo in my whole unflattering self.
Weight = 72.4 kg

I don't have any blood work to include here for future comparison, but historically, my blood sugar level has been within the recommended zone (though on the high end) and my cholesterol looks good. Interestingly though, my cortisol tends to be on the low end of good, which might be related to another problem I've had recently with my pituitary gland. So I might be a special case.

I don't know about the wheat part of the equation yet. I might post a question on Gillespie's forum about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment